Thursday 5 June 2014

Day 5 | My Proudest Moment

I have to say that it has taken me quite some time to think of what my proudest moment is. I didn't do very well at school, or college for that matter, I haven't been to uni, and it took me a bloody long time to pass my driving test but when the thought struck me I wondered why I didn't think of it earlier!

I work at one of the major estate agents in my area, I'm quite proud of that fact after working hard to get where I am now. From starting out a very small independent (crappy) agents I managed to bag my self a Lettings Negotiator role, whilst the hours were a lot longer the money was better and I felt valued. After a year in that role I decided that the hours were just too long and the pressure on hitting targets were just too much so when a spot opened as a Letting Co-Ordinator I jumped at the chance! Less hours, similar money and no walking around in the rain waiting for late appointments, score!

Across our company there are lots of different departments, we cover sales, lettings, new homes, and auctions just to name a few and within each area there are quarterly awards and annual awards. During a very busy Q2 last year I picked up an award which meant a trip to London with all the other award winners. We went for dinner at Dans Le Noir which is a very strange concept - you eat in the dark! Wining that award was a great feeling in itself but was nothing like the Christmas Party....

Our Christmas Party or the Annual Awards as they like to call it, is a big deal. Everyone gets dressed up all 500 of us and there's a big sit down meal (with copious amounts of wine of course!), then its the awards! At the beginning of the night we find out who has made the shortlist, and last year my name was down! I had butterflies, I was really nervous thinking it could be me but deep down I did figure that it hadn't been a great year so its doubtful I'd win but to be nominated at least was good enough for me! The winners are calculated on targets, figures, additional services etc so its not just a case of being the boss's favourite which is really good! 

When it come to our category it was very tense we all wanted to know who would be jetting off to South Africa but again I didnt for one minute think that it would be me...until my name was called out!! I have to say I don't really remember much about walking up to the stage, I'm not sure if that was the wine or the adrenalin! To make things even better my friend Sarah had also won so we strutted down together, both in awe of what we had achieved! We would both be off to South Africa for a trip of a life time! 

All those days that I'd worked late, came in early. All the times that I pulled my hair out stressing because references had failed again, all the times I had cried because a landlord had shouted at me, it all seemed worth it. I was proud, very proud and the big smile I carried on my face all night, and for days to followed proved that! 



Find out what I got up to in South Africa here. 
What has been your proudest moment? 

You can read all my posts from the 30 day challenge here. 

2 comments :

  1. Awh well done thats such a fab prize ! hard work really does pay off :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time it feels never ending but it does pay off in the end :) xx

      Delete