Friday 18 July 2014

The Reading Habits Tag

In the past few months I have most definitely got back into reading, which I didnt think would ever happen. Up until I was about 15 I was the biggest book worm going, I loved reading and would choose it over doing anything else, mainly because I shared a room with my younger sister and she watched rubbish TV. Then I discovered social media and the internet and it all went down hill from there. I'm now making time to read, mostly on my lunch breaks at work and in the evenings before bed. I saw Hayley from Water Painted Dreams had taken part in a great tag and I couldn't help but join in! 

1. Do you have a certain place at home where you read?
Always in my bed, its my favourite place.

2. Bookmark or random piece of paper? 
You know when your in the fragrance department and you squirt the perfume on a bit of paper? 
Well currently I have one of those as my bookmark. I've been known to have
 a train ticket and even a bit of tissue as my bookmark in the past! 

3. Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter or a certain number of pages?
I haven't really noticed before but generally I'll read until the end of the chapter or at a suitable stopping point. 

4. Do you eat or drink when reading? 
I love a cup of tea and a book so I'm okay with that but add food into the mix and it gets complicated. Eating just takes my focus away from the book. 

 5. Do you watch TV or listen to music whilst reading?
I dont mind it low in the background but I find if I zone in one word or sentence I lose focus in the book and pay more attention to whats on the TV.

6. One book at a time or several at once?
It depends how I'm getting on with the book. I have a couple I'm a mid way through as they got a bit heavy going so I switched to something a bit more light-hearted. I will eventually go back to them but I'll never actively read more than one book at one time. 

7. Reading at home or everywhere?
9/10 I have a book on me so I'm ready to read a chapter here or there if I have a spare moment. I kind of wish I had to use public transport so I had time to read on my commute. My sister however will read whilst walking to work !

8. Reading out loud or silently in your head? 
Always in my head, its too time consuming to read aloud. 

9. Do you read head or skip pages?
If you skipped pages you might miss out on something important! Although I do sometimes skim read certain sections if I'm getting impatient and want to get to the nitty gritty of a story line. 

10. Breaking the spine or keeping it new?
I'm totally torn on this question. I always keep my books in pristine condition, to the point where people may question whether I'd actually read any of my collection! I do think that books with broken spines do look well loved. 

11. Do you write in your books?
Nope never have. 

12. What are you currently reading? 
I've just recently started Peach Blossom Pavilion by Mingmei Yip and so far so good. Its a very interesting story about a Chinese prostitution house in the 1910's from the point of view of a young girl who was unknowingly sent to live in 'Peach Blossom Pavilion'. 

2 comments :

  1. There is no cozier place to read than in your own bed, wrapped up in the covers! I like to have a cup of tea or coffee, nibble on some popcorn or veg chocolate, be listening to my John Williams station on Pandora (soothing movie soundtrack music!) and switch the books depending on my mood. Feeling sappy? I grab my love story. Feeling sentimental? I grab a Harry Potter. Feeling adventurous? I grab something from my brother's bookshelf. There's nothing like a good book! (preferably when its raining out!)
    ~ Samantha
    samsamcherie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading just takes you to a whole new place! I'm going to run a bath this evening and enjoy sometime with my latest book :) x

      Delete